Door County Auto Storage Tips
Important Tips when Shopping for Auto Storage
Measure first! Be sure to include the trailer (if applicable) before selecting your storage space. Length and width are important to take into account. For SUVS and pickup trucks using indoor storage, we recommend measuring height to ensure your vehicle will properly fit through the roll-up doors. Include mirrors, hood ornaments, and trailer hitches when measuring your car, truck, or trailer.
Before Storing your Vehicle:
- Inspect tires for signs of dry rot or deflation.
- Your vehicle should be free of all leaks.
- All motorized vehicles should be on a trailer or in working condition.
- Boats and RVs should have current license plates. Tags that expire during storage should be renewed.
For Long-Term Vehicle Storage:
- Add a fuel stabilizer.
- Check fuel lines and gaskets to ensure there are no leaks. Lay down cardboard or old carpeting to protect the floor.
- Wash, wax, and thoroughly clean the vehicle's exterior and interior.
- Car covers are recommended, especially for outdoor storage.
Car & Truck - Indoor Storage Guidelines
- Small cars and compact cars can generally fit in a standard storage space measuring 15 feet in depth.
- Full and standard size automobiles require at least 20 feet in depth.
Motorcycle & ATV - Storage Tips
- Motorcycles, mopeds & scooters can generally fit in a standard storage space measuring 5 feet wide x 10 feet deep.
- ATVs like 4-wheelers can generally fit in a storage space measuring 5 feet wide x 10 feet deep.
- Snowmobiles (depending on trailer size) can generally fit in a storage space measuring 5 feet wide x 10 feet deep.